Learn Together/Grow Together are short midweek educational courses run by educators from our community. Our next course, running in May 2020 over three consecutive Thursdays is an Introduction to Genealogy led by Elliot Porte. This will be an online course taking place on Zoom. Read on for more information:
- A course for beginners and intermediate genealogists who wish to discover more about their Jewish ancestors.
- Will discuss in detail the various tools now available online and what might be to hand amongst family records eg letters, diaries, photographs etc
- Real and sometimes ‘fake’ history of immigration
- Looking for clues in family records and how to interpret information
- How to arrange your family tree and records so that they become a source of reference and further research.
- DNA testing: what it can and can’t do plus some ways of avoiding expensive mistakes.
- Participants will be encouraged to ‘show’ the results of their research and perhaps to share family trees etc
More information about Elliot Porte who is teaching the course:
- I have been engaged upon family research for about ten years.
- My family originated in what is now Poland and Lithuania.
- Over the past ten years I have given presentations on the subject to Jewish Care, The Jewish Genealogical Society of Great Britain, the Jewish Historical Society, Limmud, and a number of synagogues, schools and colleges.
- My research into the Edmonton Federation Cemetery is incorporated into the Worldwide Jewish Cemetery Project that aims eventually to record every Jewish burial from 17th Century onwards.
- I’m still learning!
In order to register your interest and be sent the Zoom links for the course, please contact email@example.com