“Our building may be closed, but our community is very much open”.
ELELS, like many other Synagogues or religious communities, is following the latest COVID-19 advice to avoid unnecessary social contact. However, all of our events are now online- and you can find out about our online offer by clicking here.
This page contains information about other activities that we are hosting or encouraging our community to attend.
Biennial Conference 2020 – will now be held online via various streaming services and accessible from the LJ Website. It will be held between Friday 22nd May & Sunday 24th May (prior to late May Bank Holiday Monday on 25th May). For more info see our emails, or click here.
This year the Hay Festival goes digital on 18th-31st May. It does overlap with the LJ Biennial but you can be a virtual presence at both events from the comfort of your own home.
Authors write about anything and everything, so there is a vast range of subjects to suit every taste. This year, amongst many others, there are talks featuring:
- Stephen Fry – on Troy the third book of his Greek Trilogy
- Sandi Toksvig – on The View of My Life from the Top of the Number 12 Bus her long-awaited memoir
- Simon Armitage, Benedict Cumber, Monty Don, Stephen Fry & others reading the poetry of William Wordsworth
- Jon Sopel – on reporting from the Whitehouse
- John Simpson, Bettany Hughes, Paul Boateng, Edmund de Waal (author of The Hare With Amber Eyes) are on a panel discussing the loss of libraries in conflicts
- Yotam Ottolenghi – on the food of Palestine
- Simon Schama – on Nationalism in the age of global disasters
- Economists, Historians, Journalists, Scientist & many more
So if you are getting bored with lockdown, you have discovered the delights of online events and you like a good book – visit https://www.hayfestival.com/home to find out more.
Tikkun Leyl Shavuot Online May 28th from 11am to 11pm.
Join us for an exceptional programme of sessions for the whole family, brought to you by ELELS, our local progressive communities (ECAMPS) and more across the country. We will also be providing links to sessions offered by other LJ communities that night in due course.
For a full run down of the programme, please click here.
Login details to be sent out by each participating community.
ELELS Online Quizzes- Sunday 31st May, 7th and 14th June
Our classic Sunday evening quizzes return on Zoom at the end of May. All three quizzes will be based on a pot pourri of subjects from music to film, sport, general knowledge, dingbats and lots more. Fun guaranteed!
31/5- Quiz prepared by John Spero, presented by Darren Green
7/6- Quiz prepared and presented by Emma James
14/6 Quiz prepared and presented by David Gold
For more info, please email firstname.lastname@example.org