As you have no doubt seen or heard, the Government has updated its planning for dealing with the outbreak of the Coronavirus/Covid-19 outbreak and issued new guidance.
In response to this guidance, ELELS Council has decided to take extra precautions to protect members and staff against the risk of spreading the virus.
We are encouraging staff and volunteers to work from home where possible. This does mean that the Synagogue is effectively closed for the foreseeable future. Please do not go to the Synagogue unless you have an appointment to meet someone and you have confirmed that the appointment is going ahead. If you make an unannounced or unexpected visit, even if someone is in the building, you may not be allowed entry.
Sam, our administrator, will continue to go into the office to check for telephone calls etc. If any key-holders need to go to Synagogue, for any reason, we ask that they liaise with Sam before doing so.
Some of the planned services and events in the next few weeks are either being cancelled or postponed while we look at alternative arrangements.
- Leopoldstadt Theatre Trip planned for tomorrow, cancelled a separate email has been sent to those who had purchased tickets
- Tots@Home planned for tomorrow morning is being cancelled
- Hebrew Ulpan / Access to Judaism classes are being postponed for this week and we are looking at alternative arrangements for next week
- Erev Shabbat service on Friday is cancelled
- Shabbat Morning service is cancelled on Saturday
- Cheder Classes postponed for this week while we look at other arrangements
- Tuesday 24th – Solutions Not Sides – cancelled but we hope we can arrange to do this event on a later date
- Wednesday 25th – Rosh Chodesh Group – will either be online or cancelled
- Wednesday 25th – Hebrew Ulpan & Access to Judaism – we are looking into options to offer these as as online/live streamed lessons
- Friday 27th – Come Shabbat With Me – cancelled, we are looking at alternative offers for Erev Shabbat
- Saturday 28th – Bar Mitzvah – discussions are taking place with the family and a final decision about this service is still to be made
- Saturday 28th – Tots Service – cancelled
- Saturday 28th – Cheder Classes – if possible we will offer online live streamed lessons
- Thursday 9th April – Communal Seder – regretfully we have decided to cancel this event
- Sunday 19th April – Friendship Club – also regretfully cancelled
Council was, before the Coronavirus outbreak, looking at options to provide online live streamed services, classes and other events. These discussions will be given more urgency and it is hoped that ELELS will be able to offer some streamed events soon. If you wish to watch a live streamed service this Shabbat, and while we investigate options for an ELELS live stream, you can information about virtual services by other Liberal Jewish communities at:
We will continue to provide updated information by email, on our Website and Social Media channels. We are also looking into establishing a Telephone Tree system to stay in contact with members – and you can still contact ELELS office by email or telephone.
- Website: https://eastlondonandessexliberalsynagogue.org/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ELELSynagogue/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/ELELSynagogue
- Email: email@example.com
- Telephone: 0208 989 7619
Office hours remain as before: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday 10:00 to 15:30
- Rabbi Richard Jacobi: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Stewart Spivack, Council Chair: email@example.com (in an emergency 07745 790869)
- Nick Young, Community Development: firstname.lastname@example.org
Stay healthy and look after each other